Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Soho portraits

I just picked up prints from a roll of film I took over the past few weeks with the Nikon N80. This time I was using Kodak T-Max 400 rather than the T-Max 100 I was using for the first roll, and with more latitude in exposure I could be more adventurous. As with last time I took my time trying to get the best shot for each frame, and I think a reasonable number turned out at least halfway decent.

Before starting to write this post I had a feeling that I don't post many photos of people, but going back and checking, there are more than I thought, so that's not really true. However, the following two are unusual: since I asked the subjects beforehand, they're actual portraits. Thanks to the courage I'd worked up in the street photography workshop last month I didn't hesitate!

Guys in sunglasses
These two guys were waiting on a street corner. Though they were standing together they just seemed to be watching the crowd. When I asked if I could take a photo of them they said sure, what should we do? Do what you were doing, I said.

Man and his dog
This one was a lucky chance, I was planning to take a photo of this guy enjoying his cigarette from further away but even a zoom lens to 80mm wasn't going to get very close, so there was nothing for it but to ask for permission. That allowed me to get just close enough.

More to come ...

No comments:

Post a Comment