Thursday, June 30, 2011

Meatpacking District

I recently took part in a street photography workshop held in the Meatpacking District, which is another one of New York's formerly unattractive commercial districts that has been transformed into a hip neighbourhood. It used to be warehouses but now it's trendy restaurants and boutiques, with not much sign of its previous life. I imagine that the renovation of the High Line has sent the hipness factor through the roof. It also seems that some of the street artists who used to set up shop in Union Square moved here after they were kicked out by Bloomberg.

Shades
This gentleman is one of the former Union Square vendors, I used to see him there all the time when I was walking through on my way to work. This one was easy, everyone was taking a photo.

Smoke
I asked this guy if I could take his photo and he wanted to know what attracted my attention (the hat). Of the photos I took of him this came out looking the most unposed. He said he was going to be giving a concert on the High Line after he finished his cigarette.

Practice
Cheerleaders practicing on a street corner. A minute after I took this they packed up and left. 

On duty
A parking building security guard. For some reason the interior was a lot more colourful than your usual parking building!

Repose
Debriefing after the workshop. This is exactly the kind of lighting where I find getting the white balance right tricky, but this is more-or-less how it looked to the naked eye.

The workshop was pretty informative, and I picked up some courage to ask strangers for photos. The downside was that it's hard to get a clear shot when you're in a group of 20 photographers! Of course, I will have to go back on my own sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment