Thursday, June 9, 2011

Central Park, Belvedere Castle

I went to Belvedere Castle in Central Park for the first time a few weeks ago after living in New York for more than five years, and the surroundings turned out to be a surprisingly good place to take photos!

Belvedere Castle 
The castle. Unfortunately it was a cloudy day, which accounts for the white sky, I will stick to the "don't include the sky on cloudy days" advice in the future!

Dark inside

Contemplation

Light and dark
This photo didn't turn out so well (I don't like the motion blur in the middle) but the composition and tones are better than all the others I took in the same place (the underside of a particularly ornate bridge). I'll definitely be back to have another go at this one.

Extra: I took these photos, and the ones in the last few blog posts, with the Nikon D7000 I  bought in April. Overall I'm very pleased with it compared to the Olympus E-520, though to be fair, it's 2 years newer and at the high end of Nikon's consumer cameras, unlike the E-520. Things that I'm particularly appreciating that the Olympus lacks include the button + command dial settings for ISO and white balance, wide selection of lenses (I am enjoying the 18-200mm superzoom), higher usable ISO, plenty of focus points, lower noise and wider dynamic range. I'm still using the Olympus from time to time, but the Nikon is now my main camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment