Thursday, June 30, 2011

Around Chinatown

A few more photos from my recent exploration of Chinatown with the Nikon N80

Antique
This cigar store Indian seemed to be on duty outside an antique shop, rather than at his usual post.

The stairs sing

At attention
It wouldn't be a trip to Chinatown without a fish photo ...

Suspended in space (1)

Suspended in space (2)
I took a couple of versions of this photo with the N80 but they didn't come out that well, I had a hard time getting the exposure right and overall it seems livelier with colour (taken with the D7000). I got the composition better in the colour photo as well, but I had the luxury of a much wider angle to work with.

This laundry looks convincing but it's all fake: it was suspended between two anonymous-looking buildings with no sign of human habitation, separated by an empty alley. It attracted plenty of attention -- I wasn't the only photographer! One Chinese guy said to me, "Like Shanghai". Later another guy explained to me that someone had been shooting a film, which sounds convincing. The first time I walked by a group of workmen were backing a big orange construction vehicle into the alley so I got out of the way and came back again later. Since it had an arm to raise a platform up I assume it was intended to take down the fake laundry, and it turned out I was lucky to get the photo -- when I came back the next weekend it was all gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment