Wednesday, May 18, 2011

East Midtown

Last Sunday I took a stroll around the east part of Midtown (40th-50th Streets) to see what I could find to photograph. Since I am trying to take fewer, better photographs recently I ended up taking not that many, these are a few of the better ones.

Autumn leaves in Spring
Earlier in the day I'd been reading a photography book that had a section on taking autumn photographs so I was surprised and happy to find this rather confused tree in a little garden at the foot of a skyscraper. Looking at it you'd think it was September and not the middle of May! Following what I'd been reading I took the shot from below to get backlighting and increased the exposure so that the leaves didn't come out too dark compared to the white, cloudy sky. I would have preferred a blue sky but you can't have everything -- next time maybe?

In between 

East River Drive
In the 50s there's a series of dead-end streets that overlook over East River Drive. I went down 52nd Street, which is lined with very swanky old apartment buildings, and found this view of the river and Queens on the far side.

Brooklyn Bridge through the mist
Taken from the same place, looking south towards Brooklyn Bridge, though in this shot I zoomed in to exclude the uninteresting stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment