Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunrise and sunset

Last week I took an early morning trip under the Hudson River to Hoboken so that I could take photos of the sunrise over Manhattan from Frank Sinatra Park. I'd been planning to do this for a few weeks now but it's hard getting up early in the morning when it's so cold! I left the house at 5:45am and took the PATH train to Hoboken, by the time I got there it was already past 6:30 and the sun was starting to rise. I set up my tripod and then it was time to take photos! 

42mm, f/22, ISO 100
Of course the Empire State Building should be the main attraction here, but I was too far to the south to get a good shot of it, the sun rose over an anonymous-looking stretch of buildings instead. Still a Manhattan skyline, though.

27mm, f/22, ISO 100
I took this photo at 6:48, at pretty much the climax. I stayed around for a while after this but this is pretty much as good as it got.

26mm, f/22, ISO 100
A few minutes later, taken at 6:55. The pink colour had mostly gone by this point, but the ferry in the foreground adds a dynamic feeling so I like this one too.

137mm f/22, ISO 100 
I took this at 7:24, just before I started packing up to leave. Since the sun had risen by this point the sky wasn't that interesting, but I took this silhouette photo by zooming on one part of the skyline. I like the way this one turned out, particularly the smoke from the chimney! I almost feel artistic.

My hands were close to freezing by now so it was time to get going, but packing up turned into a routine of putting a few things away, then warming my hands inside my coat, then repeating. The tripod turned out to be more of an obstacle than I expected since it was very cold by this point and painful to handle!

Overall I got a few nice photos out of it and some useful experience. I'll do it again sometime, but probably when it's warmer!

150mm, f/22, ISO 100
I took this photo in the evening from the opposite direction, this is a view of the Erie Lackawanna railway terminal in Hoboken (I took the photographs a little to the right of this picture). The sunset sky turned out to be nicer than the sky at sunrise, but for a lot of the photos I took my camera misjudged the exposure because of the sun and they ended up underexposed, all blue and red. I took this one just after the sun went down and it turned out more-or-less normally. Next time I will pay more attention to the exposure.

(All these photos were taken with either my Olympus 14-42mm or Olympus 40-150mm zoom lenses).

No comments:

Post a Comment