Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Kobe

After staying in Tokyo for a few days we went to Kobe, where we had more time for sightseeing (and taking photos).
Kobe Port Tower, 30mm f/1.8, ISO 200
This is a view of the Kobe Port Tower, which you can buy on a postcard, from the neighbourhood of JR Sannomiya station. Right behind me there's a long shopping arcade that runs for several blocks of all kinds of shops, which was a good place to take cover on a rainy day like this. Since I took this photo at dusk it wasn't quite dark yet, which gives the sky a dark blue colour that turned out nicely. I like taking photos after it's been raining but it usually happens by accident!

Gaya-in Temple, 30mm f/2, ISO 100
When we visited a temple near where we were staying my wife suggested that I should take this photo, and it was a good excuse to try out the depth of field from using a wide aperture on my new lens.

Engyo-ji Temple, 30mm f/2, ISO 100
We also visited Mount Shosha near Himeji (site of the famous castle, which I would have posted a photo of, but it's currently under renovation) and took the cable car up to Engyo-ji Temple. As soon as we went in I knew I had to take a photo of this scene, this is one of may favourite photos from the whole trip.

Engyo-ji Temple, 30mm f/2, ISO 200
I'd wanted to take a photo like this for ages, and this was the perfect chance.

Engyo-ji Temple, 30mm f/8, ISO 200
Experimenting with a "frame-within-a-frame" effect. I like the frame and the shadows but overall it's a bit on the drab side.

No comments:

Post a Comment